About Us: What is a Community Foundation?
A Community Foundation helps fund local charities, community projects & programs, and scholarships/bursaries. The BC Interior Community Foundation (BCICF) is a member of Community Foundations of Canada, a national network of 191 foundations. This national alliance allows each local Community Foundation to independently support charities and causes that are important within their funding region.
What is an Endowment?
Donations to the BC Interior Community Foundation are a great way to ‘give today and grow tomorrow’. When you donate to the BCICF your money is placed in a secure endowment. This endowment is invested with care and grows over time. As the investment generates interest, the foundation is able to provide funding consistent funding to charities, projects and scholarships/bursaries. The endowed fund is held forever in trust by the Community Foundation, providing a stable income stream.
Who do we help fund?
Many local charities who have an endowment with the Foundation direct donors to contribute on their behalf so they can plan for the future of their organization knowing that a portion of their annual budget is guaranteed:
- Alzheimer Society of BC – Kamloops Branch (Vince O’Hara Fund)
- Ashcroft – Cache Creek Community Fund
- Barriere Community Fund
- BC Cattleman’s Association Scholarship/Bursaries (Bostock & Fallis Families of Monte Creek Heritage Fund)
- Boogie the Bridge Culture Fund
- Brain Injury Alliance (Brain Injury Alliance Dr. Gur Singh Memorial Education Fund)
- Camp Grafton Fund
- Chase Community Fund
- Chris Rose Therapy Centre for Autism Fund
- City of Kamloops Funds
- Clearwater Community Fund
- Clinton Millennium Community Fund
- Colombo Lodge & Italian Cultural Centre Scholarship Fund
- Ducks Unlimited (Dr. David A. Stewart Legacy Fund)
- First Nations Education Scholarship/Bursaries (Howling Coyote Education Fund, Duncan & Marie Macrae Education Fund, Gabriel Palmer (Ignace) Memorial Fund, Wally Denault Memorial Scholarship Fund, Vincent Spina Scholarship Fund, Pat Behe & Stan Bennet First Nations Education Fund)
- Heritage Fair Fund
- Inclusion Kamloops Society (Reagan Lee Downie Memorial Fund)
- Kamloops Art Gallery (Kamloops Art Gallery Foundation Fund, Fred Doubt Memorial Foundation Fund, Jann LM Bailey Foundation Fund, Jann LM Bailey Legacy Fund)
- Kamloops Brain Injury Association (Dr. Gur Singh Fund)
- Kamloops Curling Club Scholarships (Kamloops Curling Club Scholarship Fund, World Curling Championship Fund)
- Kamloops Festival of the Performing Arts Fund
- Kamloops Food Bank Endowment Fund
- Kamloops Graffiti Task Force (Marg Spina Community Enhancement Fund)
- Kamloops Hospice Association Fund
- Kamloops Minor Baseball Scholarships (Kamloops Minor Baseball ‘Diamonds & Dreams’ Fund)
- Kamloops Museum & Archives (Hope Hermance Worsnop Fund)
- Kamloops Music Collective (KISSM Legacy Fund)
- Kamloops North Shore Performing Arts Fund
- Kamloops Rugby Scholarship Fund
- Kamloops Senior Citizens – Housing & Palliative Care (Kamloops Senior Citizens Housing Society Fund, Kamloops Senior Citizens Housing Society Palliative Care Fund)
- SPCA (Kamloops Branch) Endowment Fund
- Kamloops Symphony Society (Kamloops Symphony Fund, Peter Collins Memorial Fund, Bruce Dunn Legacy Fund)
- KidSport BC, Kamloops Chapter Fund
- Lillooet (Lillooet Community Fund, Lillooet Millennium Community Fund)
- Logan Lake (Logan Lake Community Fund, Logan Lake Community Enhancement Fund)
- Lytton (Lytton Community Foundation – Health Trust Fund, Village of Lytton Community Fund, Lytton Community Fund)
- McQueen Lake Environmental Education Centre Fund
- Merritt Community Fund
- Performing Arts BC Festival Fund
- Red Cross – Kamloops Branch (Bostock & Fallis Families of Monte Creek Heritage Fund)
- Royal Inland Hospital Foundation (Dr. David A. Stewart Legacy Fund)
- School District No. 73 Scholarship Bursary Fund (see scholarships for others)
- St. Andrew’s Caledonian Society Fund
- Thompson Nicola Cariboo United Way Fund
- Thompson Rivers University Scholarships/Bursaries (Anne Collier Memorial Bursary Fund; BC Interior Community Foundation Bursary – held by TRU Foundation)
- TNRD 70 Mile House & Area Community Fund
- UBC Faculty of Medicine – Ophthalmology (Vince O’Hara Fund)
- Western Canada Theatre Company Endowment Fund
How can you support your favourite local cause?
The BCICF exists to support charities across many sectors in their work to improve the lives of our community members. For more than three decades, first as the Kamloops Foundation, and now as the BC Interior Community Foundation, we have helped connect donors with causes that they care about. Whether it’s setting up an individual memorial fund in the name of a loved one, or contributing to an existing fund that aligns with a donor’s values, the BCICF has many options for leaving a legacy to our communities.
Many donors contribute on a monthly or annual basis to a fund they have set up, and find that this provides them with great tax benefits while making sure they know exactly where their money is going. By keeping our administration cost at only 1% of the endowed fund value, the BCICF makes sure that we can help charitable organizations in our region who need it the most.
If a donor wants to donate to their community but isn’t sure about the best way for them to do that, they can direct monies to the ‘Smart & Caring Fund’. This general fund is used for Community Project Grants across the Thompson-Nicola Region, at the discretion of the Granting Committee and the Board of Directors. Community Project Grants are helpful to supplement project & program funding and provide a charity (or a project partnered with a charity) with up to 1/3 of their project funding up to $1500. Why do we cap these project funds? We simply want to make sure that we can support as many projects as possible within each funding cycle.
The BC Interior Community Foundation has a diverse and knowledgeable Board of Directors who help direct our funds to support existing and emerging needs in our region. Click here to learn more about our Board of Directors.
When you contribute to our community, we all grow together. Join the BCICF in our mission to support local charities with consistent sustainable long-term funding.